Medieval village, perched on a cliff made up of conglomerates of marine fossils, rich in history and culture, is an important point for Calabrian tourism.
Ancient structures testify to its historical nobility, convents, monasteries, sacred buildings. He was born in the seventh century, in the Byzantine period, knew various dominations, each of which left their mark.
The town keeps intact the medieval urban structure, with its historic center, a network of courtyards bordered by facades of monuments and churches. The urban layout is medieval and is divided into three main groups: the Upper Town, the Borgo Maggiore and the Borghetto.
The upper city is dominated by the majesty of the Cathedral, result of different architectural styles, turns out to be the largest in the whole of Calabria. The construction dates back to between 1110 and 1120, and holds 26 Roman columns from the 4th-3rd centuries in the crypt. The interior, striking and impressive, with a Latin cross is divided into three naves.
Thanks to the numerous restorations carried out after the Second World War, today it can be admired in all its charm. Columns and capitals come from the ruins of the Greek Locri magno.
Several works of art stand out inside La Cappella del SS. Sacramento, the Chapel of San Giacomo. The most precious piece is a finely worked Templar cross, manufactured in Jerusalem in the XIIth century. The treasure of the Cathedral is kept in the crypt, the Religions Cross in gold filigree, emerald sapphires containing a fragment of the cross of Jesus takes on more importance. you can admire the Piazza delle Tre Chiese, which overlooks the Church of San Francesco, in Gothic style, with a noble marble altar. The ruins of an ancient castle of Byzantine origins, which played a defensive role against the Arab attacks, are still in the upper part.
Inside there are tombs dug into the rock, caves, traces of pavements, there is also the cave where St. Anthony of the Castle lived, in which a water considered miraculous flowed. The architecture of Borgo Maggiore is alternated with old medieval houses and noble palaces. It is characterized by the typical “mignani” space in front of the domestic entrance reserved for the gossip of the town.
Important and rich in history is the Church of Santa Maria del Mastro with the portal made of soft stone of the place, founded in 1083 dedicated to megalomartyrs Eustazio and Caterina. Through a majestic door one enters the Borghetto, another city nucleus, here it is denoted the abandonment of some houses built on the rock.
You can admire the Church of San Martino, it was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1783. It belongs to the late neoclassical baroque, the inside preserves a fine pipe organ of 1851.